Pages

Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Insecure Writer's Group #003: Starting & Ending a Series

The Insecure Writer's Support Group is hosted by Alex J. Cavanaugh of his blog. On the first Wednesday of every month, we writers who are insecure about ourselves one way or another talk about what makes us insecure. The purpose of this blog hop is to encourage and help writers move past these insecurities and write the stories we were meant to write.

You can view the main page for it here & join the fun!

This Month's Insecurity: What to expect when writing the start of a series? What about the ending?

I've barely made it on time to update, but here it is! Here's a little fun fact about Mermaid Tears that I'd like to share with everyone: Mermaid Tears is going to be a series! Although I'm not sure how long it's going to be but I hope to continue the adventures of Misora & the crew members of the Ruby Heart to distant lands and to discover more of their roots.

But in which case, where do I go from there? I was thinking of going ahead and start exploring each of the ship mates in their own book. Like maybe add a subtitle? This book would be entitled Mermaid Tears for the obvious reason: its about Misora! Then what would be the main book title?

If I did choose to use that idea, I would need to create about maybe about six books total just for the main characters. However, I don't think Misora, or really any of the characters that would proceed the next books, would ever be completed.  I think characters will always be evolving and I think it'd also be some of a challenge to actually write those different characters. They all have different ways of thinking.

Ending a series would be challenging, though, because one would start thinking if I would have put in enough of my world to show or if I had shown what overall message I wanted to convey, but I feel that since I'm just starting out...Maybe I shouldn't worry so much about ending a series. We'll cross that road when we get there, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Please feel free to leave your link to your blog! Also, I tend to reply to comments so feel free to come back and check out the response. Have a great day!