Pages

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Being an introverted author and blogger is really no fun.


Hmm. I know that I haven't really been updating lately but that's mostly because I have this problem. This problem is that I'm an introvert. What does that mean?

Usually, being an introvert comes with certain connotations - same thing with being an extrovert. There are plenty of myths around introverts about how we're self-centered, shy, hate people, just loners, etc. Of course, this is not true all time! People are people; you can never and always predict them.

However, as a author and blogger, I feel that maybe it's a bit too hard to own an author blog. I have a personal Twitter I use but I always use it to air my personal feelings as a way to scream into a digital pillow and because I know that the majority of the time, it's going to be ignored by everyone else. So why do I own an author blog? Because I want a place to archive my thoughts about certain topics, maybe review a book once I actually sit down to read it, or to even just give some tips to some fellow authors who may need help.

That doesn't mean I don't visit other author blogs, though. When I do visit them, though, I always feel like it's a chore to read some of their small talk - which is one aspect of being an introvert. I really don't like it offline and it reflects towards my Internet self. I'm trying so hard to learn how to be a "proper" author that I'm forcing myself to read things I don't really care about. I'm forcing myself to do things I don't really want to do. I'm trying to be someone who I'm not.

There's nothing wrong with being an extrovert or even a more outgoing introvert. It happens. And it's going to continue to happen.

So now, what do I do? I'm perfectly content with how I run my blog here but at the same time, if I want my future books to sell, I have to put myself out there. I have to make small talk. I have to actually work towards sales. It's very troublesome and annoying for me as someone who uses the Internet as a way to recharge their social battery.

It seems as though I'm complaining about doing actual work but I'm honestly not. According to this Huffington Post post, one of the possible signs that I'm an introvert is the fact that networking alone makes me feel like I'm a phony. According to the entry (number four for reference):
Networking (read: small-talk with the end goal of advancing your career) can feel particularly disingenuous for introverts, who crave authenticity in their interactions.

"Networking is stressful if we do it in the ways that are stressful to us," Dembling says, advising introverts to network in small, intimate groups rather than at large mixers.

And this much is true. I'd rather advertise my books, collections, and novels to my friends who I feel actually want to support me more than some stranger on the Internet. Granted, offline, I could sell pretty well as far as sales associates go but online, I feel this is my personal space where no one knows who I really am but myself - and I'm still very much content with that.

On the other hand, because of that, I always miss out on giveaways, or participate in really small ones, miss out blog-a-thons, miss out some chances for myself. I guess being in my own space is fine for the time being but if I really want to be a successful author, I'll have to start putting aside my personal feelings about having to networking so I could advance my career. I need to start blog touring, I need to talk to people.

But I don't and yet I'm okay with that. Hm. I wonder if there any tips out there for the introverted writer. Especially since I'm pretty sure I'm INJT.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Please feel free to leave your link to your blog! Also, I tend to reply to comments so feel free to come back and check out the response. Have a great day!